Sunday, June 10, 2012

Embrace the Harness

Because it's not going away any time soon. When Robbie was first put into the Pavlik Harness, the Orthopedic Surgeon thought he would probably be in it for 6 weeks. That was 10 weeks ago.

Robbie got a sonogram of his left hip last week (btw - I might have said this before but his right hip is totally fine, always has been, it's just the left because of the infection) and it showed that it is improving but it's not fully aligned in the socket. He has a shallow hip with an alpha angle of 50 degrees and it should be 60-65 degrees. Good news is that in 4 weeks, the hip improved by 10 degrees so the harness is working. He'll get another sonogram in 4 weeks to check it out again.

So we'll continue to keep him in the harness 18 hours a day, exercise his legs when he's out of it and pray for healing! I may not like the harness but I have to remind myself that this is the least invasive way for his hip to heal properly and it's what he needs right now. I do not want to even think about surgery and fortunately the Doc doesn't let me go there in conversation anyway. We have no idea how long he will be in the harness so I need to just embrace it!

Clearly Robbie has no problem with wearing it. What a sweetheart!




1 comment: