Thursday, February 28, 2013

1 Year!

Hey Robbie they say it's your birthday, we're gonna have a good time. I'm glad it's your birthday, happy birthday to you!

On February 29th, five weeks before my due date, I started having contractions around 2:30 am. Looking back it was a comical day of things we tried to accomplish last minute all the while I'm in labor, having contractions first every 12 minutes and eventually every 2-3 minutes. Twenty-one hours later, Robert Hayden Oonk came into the world at 5 lbs, 2 oz and 19 in. It was love at first sight! Joel and I high-fived and kissed Robbie on his forehead before he was swept away by NICU.

The odds of being born on Leap Day are one in 1,461. Worldwide there are just fewer than five millions leapers and sweet Robbie is one of them. It's weird delivering on Leap Day. I want to reminisce by saying, "I remember on this day, at this time" but nothing actually happened on February 28th, at this time. I was at work and it was a totally normal day. I was feeling a little nauseous but that was about it. A LOT happened on March 1st but it wasn't contractions or delivery.

I asked my Doctor if she could keep him in for 33 more minutes just so he could see his birthday on the calendar each year. I can't be the first mother to make such a strange request but Robbie had bigger plans for us. He may not be able to celebrate his real birthday for another three years but for this leaper, it makes his story even more unique and special. I guarantee we will be celebrating 4 times harder when his actual birthday does come around.

I've said it countless times that Robbie is our miracle baby, overcoming so much this past year. We love him so much and can't imagine our life without him. God sent us the perfect baby for us and we are blessed to be his parents.

Robbie Stats:
Weight: 26 lbs 7 oz
Length: 30"
Head: 19 1/4"

Happy birthday Robbie! Today is all about YOU!




 
 


 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 





 










1 comment: