Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Being a First Time Mom Is Hard

On Saturday, I was feeding Robbie around 8:30 pm (Joel was picking Avery up). As I went to burp him, he vomited and went limp and pale, with very shallow breathing. Robbie has thrown up maybe 3 times in the past but nothing like this. We took a CPR class before we were discharged the first time but that all went out the window when I was faced with this scary moment. First I called Joel then I called 911. After a couple of minutes of patting him on the back and calling his name, his color came back and he started to move again. Just in time for the Paramedics to show up. What a sight for Joel to see when he came home.

Of course the night couldn't end there.

Robbie was also having an unusual amount of gas that smelled like nothing we had ever smelled before and he had diarrhea. We were advised to be extra cautious with him if there were things happening out of the ordinary so we called our pediatrician's emergency line. With those three different things happening, we were advised to go to Children's Legacy. It was a horrible experience - we had to explain his entire medical history twice, there was miscommunication between the doctor and nurses, we didn't actually see a doctor until 9 am (almost 11 hours after we got to the ER), not to mention neither of us had slept all day. Thankfully Robbie was totally fine, just having a bad night with reflux and working the antibiotics out of his system.

Being a first time mom is so hard! When does the fear and anxiety go away? I've said this before but thank God for the help we have to get us through this.

1 comment:

  1. SO scary! I'm glad it turned out to be ok though. Praying for some peace for you!

    ReplyDelete