The infection decided to rear its ugly head again. When Robbie's Orthopedic Surgeon discovered that his white blood cell count and CRP started trending back up, he ordered a MRI instead of a sonogram on his leg yesterday. It wasn't until 9:30 pm that we got the dreaded call from the NICU (again) explaining to us that Robbie needed emergency surgery (again) as a result of the MRI showing another abscess in his hip. Thank God we live so close to the hospital. We were able to get there just in time to kiss and pray over our son (again) before he went under anesthesia for the 4th time in less than 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have good news to share - just news. The Surgeon found more dead muscle. Instead of closing the incision up this time, he left it open with gauze packing, to keep an eye on the muscle for a while. My baby is still on the ventilator because the pain is just too much for him and he got another blood transfusion this morning.
One of the nurses told me last week that in the NICU, you take one step forward and three steps back. That is exactly how I feel. Yesterday was a step forward - Robbie was in a swing for the first time and he loved it, he was doing well with his feedings and we held him in our arms all day. Last night was another set back - surgery, fear and sadness all over again.
Joel is an incredible man. I cry every day but he is always here to comfort and remind me that Robbie is in God's hands. Just knowing that I have Joel to come home to at night makes this impossible journey not so impossible.
Reading the bible verses shared with us has been extremely helpful! I'd like to thank Kelly for finding a particular verse and calling it "Robbie's Prayer"...
Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Tomorrow is a new day and, although I don't know what it will bring, I know that God will be there to get me through it.
Thinking of you lots and covering your sweet boy in prayer !!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh Michelle - I am so sorry Robbie has had to have surgery again. But just as Ashley said above, we promise to continue to cover him (and you guys) in prayer. Jeremiah 29:11 is my personal FAVORITE bible verse. I go to it all the time. A plan...hope...a future...in Jesus, from Jesus, because of Jesus..profound to say the least! Love y'all!
ReplyDelete